Monday, February 10, 2003

Herbal products

Re: [spiers] Herbal products

At 04:07 AM 2/12/03 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi there!
>
>I recently aquired a terrific herbal formula for an energy pill especially
>designed for women. I am taking the formula myself and have seen results
>that I haven't experienced with anything else. I would like to have this
>formula made into a pill/capsule so I can sell it here. Does anyone have
>any ideas on how to get something like this manufactured? I am concerned
>about getting really good quality too.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Monica
>Hi Monica, I am a former student of the Wiley Trade classes. Your request
for information in the herbal supplement business is something I am
qualified to give advice on. I recently sold a pretty successful vitamin &
herb retail store, and owned and ran an herbal tonic soft drink company.
This amounts to approximately 15 years in the bizz.
Here are some questions that need answers:
1. Is this "formula" made in another country and imported into the U.S.
already?(Chinese)?
If the answer is yes- Then what exactly are the english equivilent to
these herbs and are
they legally imported? (FDA has good info on this, as far as a list of
accepted ingredients under the U.S. supplement act).
2. Make sure there is no similair product on the market, this is a VERY
sophisticated, multi million dollar business and I have seen very few "new"
formulas. Trade Mags. like,"The Natural Foods Merchandiser"and "Functional
Foods and Neutraceuticals" are good mags put out by New Hope Media. They
publish yearly indexes with contact info for companies in all catagories of
the industry,(raw material suppl. manufacturers, and formulary wholesalers
& distributors). Web site NPI.com is a good portal on the web for the
industry.
3. Is there a market??? I am in TOTAL agreement on a very practical basis
with Mr. Wiley:
GET THE PRODUCT INTO A PACKAGE, PROPER LABELING,(VERY important), AND GO TO
THE HEALTHFOOD STORES- FIND YOUR PRICE POINT ON SIMILAR PRODUCTS, GET IT ON
THE SHELF AND SEE IF IT SELLS!!!! After that big hurdle is satisfied...
Then you can think about : Label design, contract formulation & bottling,
distribution channels, and so on...BUT-MAKE SURE YOU HAVE CUSTOMERS AND A
UNIQUE PRODUCT!! Sincerely, David Simon


0 comments: