Tuesday, February 11, 2003

No Subject

Re: [spiers] (unknown)

In addition to the excellent summary of Celeste Campbell, Esq., I might add:

In a message dated 2/10/03 10:01:01 PM, montclair21@hotmail.com writes:

I am exploring the possibility of becoming a sales agent for particular
products from overseas. I am wondering if anyone has any references on this
regarding contract negotiations with the manufacturer/producers for
exclusivity, or is this even worth it?. If I am promoting and selling the
product do I need permission from them? I will be buying the product and
re-selling it to my customers?

***Pop quiz: If you can say "my customers", can you, have you gone in and
gained at least a memorandum of understanding that they will buy from you, if
not orders, or are you assuming they will buy from you? Until you have some
firm action that they will buy what you offer, then you will be plagued with
fear, uncertainty and doubt.

To my mind the problem here is there is no such thing as exclusivity in int'l
trade, anyone else can get it and will if it is very profitable, hence my
urgings that everyone compete on design. And if you compete on design, and
if you are always making changes to meet the needs of the market, then you
are moving too fast for the "idea thieves" to get a fix on you anyway.***

I am trying to eliminate the need of mine for a warehouse, so I will be
looking to ship directly from the manufacturer. Will I be creating a problem
when the customer see's and goes directly to the manufacturer themselves?

***The less value you provide, the less money you make... yes, customers will
go around you if that have reason to do so. On a separate issue, there is a
product that is likely you would be best dealing in. If you could do
anything you wanted, what would that be?***

John


0 comments: