Thursday, April 10, 2003

I second the motion

To all:

I agree wholeheartedly with John's comments with respect to Lamb's Navy Rum,
or any alcohol for that matter. I have been around the world multiple times,
and generally WAY off the beaten track.

With Respect to International Travel:

Basic Nice and Safe Rules from My Dad

If it's not cooked, don't eat it.
If it's not bottled, don't drink it.

Other assorted advice

Take pink bismuth (e.g., Pepto Bismol) BEFORE consuming any solid food. ( I
read in a magazine that this was advice the CIA gave its foreign agents.) It
prevents many types of agents that cause food poisoning from taking hold in
your gut. I prefer the caplets because they are easy to take and relatively
tasteless. I have been at banquets where every other Western attendee ended
up "calling Europe on the big white phone," and I was just fine. Remember,
however, pink bismuth is a drug and can interact with prescription AND
over-the-counter drugs. Check with your doctor or pharmacist before you take
PB if you are taking any other medication.

More CIA Advice: If you wear pierced earrings, do NOT wear earrings with
posts when you fly. They say the post can puncture an inflated life vest.
Also, wear all natural fibre clothes (e.g., cotton, wool) when you travel
because they burn less quickly than synthetics.

Finally, Campbell's Adage for international travel: If you maintain a
sufficiently high blood alcohol level, you'll never get sick because neither
flora nor fauna can live in your bloodstream.

Cheers --

Celeste


0 comments: