Wednesday, April 9, 2003

Sars and War

Re: RE: [spiers] Sars and War

I think it was December of '89 and I met up with my mother in London to do a
wee bit of Christmas shopping. We took a break at Selfridge's coffee shop
but the place was packed. Happily a trio stood up and made room for us, but
sadly the two on either side of the fellow in the middle had to carry the
poor fellow, for he was so sick I was sure this was his last Christmas. AIDS
I thought, what with the sores, skin etc.

Anyway, my mother began to engage me in a discussion of politics and we
debated various points, and I became parched and downed my drink between
breaths and was prepared to proceed further when my brain cautioned "apple
juice" although I had bought mineral water. I looked down, there was my
glass of mineral water, and in my hand I had the dregs of a glass of apple
juice.

Which, of course, was the juice unfinished by the dying lad.

I scooted out of the coffee shop and made a bee line for a pub. I went
straight to the bar and asked for whatever had the highest alcohol content.
Concerned, but without a word, the barkeep laid down a glass and grabbed a
bottle of Lamb's Navy Rum. I poured a half glass and then pour it in my
mouth.

"Rough day?" asked the barkeep. I spit that out into the glass and asked for
another glass. He complied. I poured another half glass and downed that.

By this time my mother caught up with me and ordered "the usual," which added
to my worries.

Anyway, 14 years later I am still alive and kicking. And I keep a bottle of
Lambs in my "medicine chest."

A buddy of mine spent a month in Bali AFTER the bombing. It was lovely.
I'll be in Asia this year, and I will be in New Orleans this week. Isn't
there some killer mosquito there? Another buddy of mine is head of US
Immigration in Hong Kong, there with his family. He is not worried.

If you wait until it is "safe" you'll never go. And of course, there is no
reason YOU can't wear a mask during the airplane ride. No one will notice,
the plane will be empty anyway.

John

In a message dated 4/9/03 10:41:16 AM, ysingie@cablespeed.com writes:

<Singapore (the fares are ridiculously cheap) and then on to Thailand to
visit manufacturer and bring back my samples. Everybody in Asia seems
to say to come on over. Everybody in US says not to go over. Isn't
that ironic? At the same time I don't want to return home and everybody
wears surgical masks around me!!

I guess my fear is not being in Asia but being in the plane on the way
to Asia for a long period of time with bad air circulation. But then
what about the flight attendants who do it regularly? The verdict is
still out for me and I still have not bought my ticket.

Any thoughts or others in similar predicament?>>


0 comments: