Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Some Q's on ideas

RE: [spiers] Some Q's on ideas

People will always give possitive feedback until such time as they have to
add money...then they become a little more critical. They become more
analytical when it affects their bottom line and their business. Can it sell
or just take up space on the shelves? Get your "ducks" in a row. Do the
design, develop a prototype for "hands on" display, then get some orders.
Money talks and ..... walks! Like the man said, "compete on design!" But
first it's a matter of "due diligence" in action. Get the business plan
made, and do it. Plan your work, work your plan...get orders!

-----Original Message-----
From: sourcesf [mailto:sourcesf@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 10:09 PM
To: spiers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [spiers] Some Q's on ideas


Hi John, et al


First, I'd like to apologize for the lengthy email. Let me know if
this is a pet peeve for the group. I have a couple of ideas and wanted
to get your input on whether you consider them valid pursuits based on
design. I have a feeling the answer may be no, one of the reasons
being because the design is an artistic design. (art could be easily
copied and is not exactly the type of design that solves a
"problem/need" as you advice in your book/class)


IDEA #1
-------
Importing Chinese art type products (e.g.- painted crystal ball) into
the US that is based on an American art design.
So, I would have an artist here create the design and have the
Chinese manufacturer use that design when they make the product for me.


A couple of things to note that I've done so far:

* I have a local artist in mind to make the design for me.

*I have also talked to a couple of small retail shops that sell
somewhat related things and they said the idea sounded pretty
interesting, but they would have to really see an example or picture to
get a better visual of how it would look like.

* I've looked around a lot to see if anyone else is doing anything
similar and I really haven't found anything.


Questions:

* Is this product design idea a possible valid one in your mind?

* Since a couple of people in retail shops gave me positive feedback,
should I go through the motions of getting a couple of samples made to
use for show?

* Any other comments/suggestions?



IDEA #2
-------
Exporting American art work with a custom design.
There actually a couple of local artists that create very original
types of work. The idea of western art


A couple of things to note that I've done so far:

* I have a couple of local artists in mind that create very original
types of work. I've talked to them and they are open to working with
me on my idea. (doing the design, etc.)

* I have talked to several different friends, associates, etc. who
either have family or themselves live or do work with/in China, and
found that many middle class people are looking for western (American
or European) type of art for their homes. (Actually, the desire
includes over all interior design and decorating as well.) So, at
least from a end-consumer perspective I think I got a little bit of
positive info.

* I have sent some images of art work by the local artists and then
gave my shtick on what differences/customized type art I thought would
work over there (and got their feedback and changes). So, i'm working
on the design(s), tweaks and changes that would hopefully be better
over there.

* I have looked on the net and also had a couple of locals look around
their area in galleries and stores with art, etc. There is western
art, of course, but there hasn't really been anything similar found.


Questions/Concerns:

* Is this product design idea a possible valid one in your mind?


* Do I need to worry about local reproductions? Making fake copies of
things is something that is so common in China, so cheap reproductions
could easily be made over there. I figure that is a major concern, but
at the same time they wouldn't be "real" art signed by the original
artist. I believe authenticity, at least for a certain segment of
people over there, would be something that is very important. They
would actually want the art to be authentically made here in the US,
and they wouldn't accept a similar design that was made in China
(although, at the same time, probably a lot of people wouldn't mind
that).


* Any other comments/suggestions? Any one with a background dealing
with art that would like to shed any light?



So, those are the ideas I have. I'm waiting to get kicked in the pants
with your feedback. At the same time, I'm hoping part of the ideas may
be fine because I'm still really excited about doing my own business
after having taken your class (even though the class was awhile ago).

Thanks!


0 comments: