Tuesday, June 10, 2003

GRI

Dear Noonoi,

I had no idea what "GRI" meant either, so I looked it up on www.google.com
(currently the best search engine generally available) using "GRI" (in quotes)
and "freight" as my search parameters. I mention this to help others who may
need to find a definition.

"GRI" in the freight industry is "General Rate Increase." It appears that it
may be determined by a trade group or a conference/consortium/cartel of
shippers or freight forwarders. Yet it seems that the inclusion of GRI in a
quote
is optional.

For example, one article I read said that in the past shippers only applied
"GRI" if they didn't feel serious competition for a job. This year, however,
has seen significant cost increases (gov't imposed fees, etc.) applied to
freight originating in Asia. This author/analyst posited that all shippers
would
apply GRI to all quotes for the rest of this calendar year for jobs originating
in Asia.

From the above I infer that GRI is "wiggle room," and as such is negotiable
for inclusion in whole or in part in a price quote.

Hope this helps,

Celeste Campbell


0 comments: