Monday, June 30, 2003

Hong Kong June Jewelry & Fashion Show

Hi Everyone:

Wanted to share my experiences at the Jewelry & Fashion trade show in
Hong Kong.

15 hrs is a long time on a jet built for short people but worth the
trip. Close to 800 vendors attended. Many factory representatives
and talented designers there and attendance was down abit because of
the Sars thing. Sars crisis blown out of proportion by the American
media. Cough cough cough. Min production runs ranged from a couple
of pieces to $5000 dollars min. I was amazed at how many people were
interested in helping me to expand my business as well as theirs.
The guys with the high min took one look at my business card, which
didn't have address(big mistake)and just dismissed me instantly.
That's okay plenty others there to help even the smallest startup
business. Besides next year they won't remember they blew me off,
lol. They all seem to want to expand business but don't want to go to
the U.S. Ok,What an opportunity! I spent the whole four days
introducing myself to as many reps/designers as possible and have
made some important relationships with people that can take my
designs and produce jewelry in all my favorite materials. Met a lady
that has residence in HK (buys raw materials there), factory in
Philipines, and vacation home in US. She has been in the importing
business for awhile. Anyone thinking of developing Jewelry products,
would recommend the trip next June. There is one in Sept also but
heard it is packed and very humid that time of year. Package deals
only cost $600-700. Spent every dime I had there to buy new items
and samples. note: on last day of show prices fell and factory reps
were giving away some samples. Good thing my suitcase had wheels.
Customs was no problem. Will be doing small frequent reorders in the
$500-$1000 range. Wire Transfer seems to be the payment of choice
for imports but I was cautioned on making big transfers to unkowns.
US dollars work fine at show. LOC's seem only to be needed for those
large purchases. Most designs can be manufactored and shipped in 3-4
wks in small runs. Oh, lost my safe key and they had to drill the
lock 1hr before plane left, whew, cheap lock, lol. Have very
expensive key for momento.

Planning on going to the Tuson Az. show in Feb. Seems very few
vendors from Hong Kong go to that show. Met Mineral shop owner that
goes to that show and spends 50k at the show to stock his very
sucessfull shop each year. Anyone been to that one?


0 comments: