Wednesday, July 23, 2003

finding the best supplier

I have a product idea that retailers say doesn't exist and that their
customers would buy. I have sketches about which retailers are
enthusiastic. My other research into competetive products makes my idea
look great. I need to find a manufacturer. The product is a garden decor
item, a screen used by urban dwellers on balconies or small city lots to
screen out undesireable views and noise. It will be made of tubular
aluminum or tubular steel. My strategy was to use the John Spiers proven
approach with the NTDB. My own review of the HTS and a far more capable
customs broker's opinion is that my product would be classified as an
"aluminum structure, other, other". Arguably it could be classified as
"Other funiture, other metal furniture, other, other". A search through the
trade database using these classifications will include imports that vary
significantly from my product. I suspect a likely manufacturer would be one
who also manufactures outdoor aluminum or steel furniture, 60% of which sold
in the U.S. comes from China. The list of importers of metal furnture is
vast. Additionally, there is a great deal of metal furniture of
significantly poorer workmanship than mine must be to occupy a place in the
hearts and pocketbooks of retailers. I would appreciate any suggestions on
how best to focus my manufacturer search. Thanks much.

Mary Kay


0 comments: