Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Export Cars

I work with my husband in the automobile business. We have a small shop and we
repair and sell cars, motorcycles and RVs, specially "salvage" with minor
damages.nbsp; There are lots of used cars in the USA market right now, that's
why I'm looking for a used vehicles market overseas.

***Yes, by printing too many dollars, the US Govt has caused massive
malinvestment, quite a bit being directed into the USA auto biz. One result is
since new cars are so cheap and plentiful, the used car market is a steal. For
my wife I got a fully loaded Cadillac STS with every conceivable option and some
after-market goodies, 34,000 miles for $19,000. My sister paid more for a new
mediocre subaru.***

I started with the HTS code.nbsp; Then I looked at NTDB and got the report of
the top 15 countries where USA export these vehicles.nbsp; With the FAS
Value/Fist Unit of quantity I'm not sure if the second part of the report are
quantity, the ones that I need to get the average price paid.nbsp; Could you
please tell me what I have to do to get these quantities?.

***send me what HTS # you are using and I'll see what I can figure out for
you...***

>I asked for assistance at the Commerce Department Office -international trade-
and the Automobile Office Affairs.nbsp; I'm waiting for their reply.nbsp; I'm
researching the web site www.export.gov

***Good...***

>Do you have some experience or any information about exporting used cars?. I'd
like to know more about the steps to access this market.

***No experience, but think about this... China is holding about a $trillion
(?) in US Govt bonds (debt) denominated in dollars as a result of trade with
USA. The dollar is losing value fast. Detroit is plagued by way too many prime
used cars out there, which is starting to bear down on new car prices. In
china, brand new China made basic cars fill a need, but there is money for
american-style Strassenkreuzeren, but nothing domestic made in this class. The
RORO vessels that bring japanese and korean cars to USA sail back empty.

Seems natural enough to me that there is business to be made quietly working
with detroit to ships 5000 used cars at a time to China, paid for with US
Treasury bonds on empty japanese vessels and taking a small commission each
deal. Detroit, Washington and Beijing all breathe easier. And you can tell the
Chinese you'll only ship first rate cars, cuz detroit wants to keep the lemons
here in USA to to stick it to USA motorists in the service dept.

I say "quietly" working with detroit because everyone would want this rather
quiet, like BMW keeps quiet they liquidate used cars out of the USA if the
number of used BMW's starts to affect resale value, or so i was told by a
dealer. Any way, any biz is good when you hav a passion for it.***

John


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Good thought I like your post I also share with you something hope you like it before you bring the vehicle into the United States, you need to have the car's undercarriage cleaned. The shipping company may be able to provide this service, or you may have to contract the work out to another company. Whoever you use for the undercarriage cleaning service, be sure to get an invoice or receipt so you can show it to the Bureau of Customs.Car Freight Shipping