Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Labor vs. management

Designer Contract

Hi John,

I have found a designer who is very talented, and more
importantly, interested in designing my idea. She has
never worked on royalty fee basis so I cannot ask her
for previous contracts.

I have contacted numerous trade associations in
fashion and accessories and no one has any idea what
is the standard royalty rate for fashion designers.
Do you know where I might be able to track down a
designer contract and their standard rates (in fashion
accessories)?

Also, there are two parts to the design of my product
- 1. improving how it functions and 2. creating an
aesthetic which will change with each line (and with
designers). If I use the functional design created by
this designer with the aesthetic design of different
designers, how do I compensate each designer? For
example, 5 years from now if I am still utilizing her
functional design, is it standard practice to continue
paying a percentage of the royalties to this designer?
If so, how much?

Thanks,
Renee


0 comments: