Tuesday, June 1, 2004

Help

How any Poles to build a Light?

(Sorry for the old joke reference)

John-
I would appreciate some guidance on taking the next step, which is
engaging the manufacturers to determine who builds my product.

I have confirmed my product idea is good and doesn't exist. I have been
working with my designer for one year (he is very busy with other
projects!) and we have evolved the design specification to the point of
being ready to engage a vendor so that they may prepare a prototype.
The vast majority of this type of product (consumer lamp) is
manufactured in China. I have preliminary response from several Chinese
suppliers that are more than willing, even enthusiastic, to discuss the
product with me (surprise!).

My designer, very experienced, is quite apprehensive about working with
China. He has had prior work with them that turned out unsatisfactory
and the experience was difficult. He has had good experience with a
particular supplier in Poland who he believes is low cost certainly
compared to European suppliers, possibly competitive with Chinese. The
designer lives in Sweden, and I believe the proximity appeals to him
(although I am not planning to fly him to Poland anytime soon!).

The innovation in this lamp is partly due to the light source (LEDs)
and partly due to the control electronics and the effects both give.
Apparently, very few lamp manufacturers have any experience
designing/building this complexity of product. My designer believes the
Polish company has both. Few Chinese companies, do.

To assess a vendor and get a quote, it is necessary to present our
design. To minimize possibility of ip "sharing" BEFORE we select a
vendor, we will present a spec which represents all the materials,
processes, and electronics but does not represent the intended product.

Even so, my designer is highly suggesting I avoid Chinese suppliers,
even tho I have mentioned all of the reasons that you have so well
taught me. My designer is highly respected in his industry, and I do
want him to support the vendor decision. So should I put the bid out to
the Polish company that he favors and to the Chinese companies? What
would you think if I did not engage the Chinese at all - if I got a
price from the Poles and if it looked like my market could support the
resulting sales price, then go with them?


0 comments: