Thursday, May 5, 2005

Re: Course Info...

In a message dated 5/5/05 12:18:05 AM, webdealz@cox.net writes:

I have a successful online business that is growing rapidly.

***I am going to accept this at face value, although I read this to mean your
net profit and the business is supporting your lifestyle. I am also going to
guess that you are involved in music room accoutrement; one day you saw the
spread between USA prices and China costs, and you now have a business
arbitraging the difference. Correct me if I am wrong, becuase what follows will
be
based on my guess of your story.***

I need to deal with manufacturers in China direct within the next 2 years
and am EXTREMELY skeptical of dealing with them due to perceived evasiveness on
their part...

***Hang on, it seems you are arguing from the narrow basis of comparison;
China is not getting rich being evasive, they are getting rich delivering prodct
to specification, oon time, at a fair price. Your job is to avoid the bad
apples in the bunch. Your word "need" throws me, if you mean "plan"...ok, I
like
when people have studied trade patterns and "plan" to meld there business
with present currents. Why China, and how did you come by this one supplier?***

Have bought your book and will probably be taking your course at SDSU
extension June 4.

***Your perspicacity is to be emulated.***

The following is response to an offer I was recently approached on and is an
example of the issues I have w/them. Will your course cover these issues?
Simply put; will you be able to show me how to avoid the nightmare of accepting
delivery of a container front-loaded with defective product?

*** Yes, I cover how not to get burned, that is the good news. The bad news
is I say "don't do what you are doing." Don't buy stock items from overseas.
Don't buy whole container loads. Don't work with people you have not
determined to be the best. On the other hand I cover how those you see thriving
in
small biz int'l trade do it.

But if you want to proceed with your plan, why not just stipulate in the
agreement that you will be present on the day the shipper loads and counts the
goods and you will physically survey and QC the goods yourself. It will cost
less than any third party QC, and you'll be sure. Further, you can put your
seal
on the container... (any trucker can give you one here in usa...) Lastly, if
you pay at that point, you can have the steamship line issue the bill of
lading directly to you, and you go home confident and the owner.***

They want Arbitration in Singapore in case of disputes - and I don't see how
and/or why any U.S. based business would subject itself to that...but they
do...?


***lemme see... having a standard contigency for dispute arbitration means
disputes must be fairly standard with them. And they want them resolved in
Singapore where it is unlikely anyone will resort if there is a problem anyway.
Hard fact: there is no recourse in small biz international trade if a deal goes
bad. None whatsoever. Hard rule...know your suppliers and have a good
relationship with them.

This I do teach in the class and the book.***

John


0 comments: