Monday, January 2, 2006

Cancelling AOL

RE: [spiers] Cancelling AOL

Hi Todd,

Here's an example of a monthly bill I've received:

Premium Unlimited Plan $24.99
FET Tax $0.75
Regulatory Recovery Fee $1.50
Total Amount $27.24


So, taxes are only a couple of bucks. That's it! :) The only
additions to the bill would be the charged minutes if you make
international calls and directory assistance charges (which by the way
isn't cheap...costs 99 cents per call).

That's about it. One more cost you should know about is if you switch
to someone else within a year they would charge you a $39.99
termination fee. That's kind of a bummer and I don't really like that.
But, it's much more fair than the penalty you'd be charged if you quit
Packet8. Speaking of which, I compared Vonage with:

http://www.packet8.com
http://www.lingo.com

You might benefit from comparing those as well.

Lastly, another really cool thing about Vonage (which I hope they don't
end anytime soon) is their referral benefits program. If you refer
someone to Vonage and they sign up and use it for at least 3 months,
they will receive the 1st month free (can already get that anyway) and
YOU CAN GET TWO MONTHS FREE (up to $50/month). So, if you are
interested in Vonage let me know and I'll email you a referral link.
(and I would be very thankful to you! :-) )

Also, if other people in the group are interested in trying Vonage
whenever I'd suggest people to refer each other so that as a whole our
group saves some good money. More power to us!!

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to answer.

Thanks!
Victor



--- Todd Silverstein wrote:

> I’m with a company called Mpower. There rate is $26.00 unlimited
> calling;
> but the taxes almost double the bill.
>
> I've seen the Vonage commercials and was wondering if you can tell me
> how to
> find out about all the taxes that will be charged at the end of my
> billing
> with Vonage.
>
> Thanks.
> Todd Silverstein
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: spiers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:spiers@yahoogroups.com] On
> Behalf Of
> sourcesf
> Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 3:14 PM
> To: spiers@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [spiers] Cancelling AOL
>
> Regarding the phone service, I was so disenchanted with SBC that I
> switched to Vonage (may be the same as your reference to Comcast)
> while
> keeping my same number. http://www.vonage.com
>
> My monthly bill is only around $27 after taxes (flat rate) and I have
> unlimited free long distance calling throughout the US and Canada.
> Int'l rates are very good as well and the quality is basically the
> same
> as on my regular old phone line. However, if I wanted to make long
> calls China for example, I would still use a Chinese calling card.
> Vonage charges 6-10 cents depending on the city (4 cents in HK), but
> a
> calling card can be as cheap as 1.8 cents per minute with no
> connection
> fee.
>
> This may not be for everyone though. An internet broadband connect
> is
> required (maybe a lot of us already have that, not sure). Also, if
> the
> local power or your internet service goes down so does your phone
> connection.
>
> The pluses for me are actually more than the price, however. Not
> only
> can I manage my account bill and activity online easily. I also get
> several of the services my local phone company would charge extra to
> me. Also, I can temporarily setup call forwarding to my cell phone
> (or
> whatever) whenever I'm away OR I can have incoming calls
> simulaneously
> ring to my cell or other phones to ensure that I receive important
> calls.
>
> The last cool thing I wanted to mention is that I can bring my Vonage
> phone adapter with me on Int'l trips and connect it to anywhere (like
> my hotel) that has an internet connection. I can make and receive
> calls as if they are local to my home! To me, this is the coolest
> part
> (although I haven't had the chance to do this yet).
>
> So, I apologize for the long message. But, I'm happy to do anything
> that bypasses monopolistic pricing companies. So, for me Vonage is a
> nice solution at the moment. As things will certainly continue to
> change rapidly in this industry, we'll see what comes about.
>
> Take care,
> Victor
>
> --- John Spiers wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> >
> > I am tidying up at year end, and I am getting rid of aol.com, a
> > service I've been with from way
> > back... but now they have gotten so bad, my main complaint is for
> $24
> > they make me wait a
> > long time to load ads before I can see my email... so if you have
> an
> > email for me, make sure it
> > is john@johnspiers.com...wileyccc@aol.com is going away.
> >
> > Also years ago, I got very cheap long distance thru aol, via
> > www.talk.com. I checked my
> > account today and learned I have been paying about $45 in taxes
> EACH
> > MONTH for 2 or 3
> > dollars in long distance service. Well, since I've switched to
> > comcast for long distance, and
> > contracted a flat rate, I don't think I'll get nailed again. In
> case
> > you find this unbelievable, I've
> > posted the bill at the group website...
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spiers/files/ ...
> >
> > Apparently, every govt entity is piling on taxes on telephone bills
> > for new, unnoticed
> > revenues.
> >
> > Well, I'll be saving some $600 this coming year cancelling
> > talkamerica long distance... you
> > may want to examine your telephone bills closely.
> >
> > John


0 comments: