Thursday, January 26, 2006

China / Saudi

Re: [spiers] China / Saudi

Yes, as I travel the world, I see English spoken everywhere, a result
of our position in the world the last few hundred years. And thank
goodness for that, for I have proven "2nd-language-proof." But has
anyone else noticed that these english speakers are largely taxi
drivers, bartenders, bellhops, etc? And how often, the big boss,
speaks only his native language? A clerk is translating?

I regret never learning a foreign language, and believe those who speak
2 or more languages have two or more lives (someone else said that
better once, but I cannot recall the exact quote). I do believe
multilinguality is a minimum for anyone considering himself "educated."
But there is a terrible trap... being good in languages too often
means you get stuck welcoming and carrying. Not to denigrate the work,
I myself have experienced reform thru labor, but I am taken aback when
people smarter than me are serving me beer.

I saw this very often interviewing people for jobs over the years. If
they said "I have language skills" first, their resumes were a series
of service sector jobs. If they mentioned it last, normally their
experience was better. My advice, for what it is worth, is if your
kids pick up language skills, tell your kids to make that the last
thing people learn about them.

John
On Monday, January 23, 2006, at 07:18 PM, linda williams wrote:

> I agree John,
>
> As I travel about and talk with locals, I find that many foreign
> families
> are placing their children in Chinese language schools, rather than
> English.
>
> Linda
>
>
> John Spiers wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Sometimes the most innocuous stories have very important
> implications... I'll say more later
> when I have time... but as a theme, the world is organizing around
> China right now, it seems,
> as opposed to USA...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/a49kx
>
> This fellow chose to visit China first...
>
> John
>
>
> Compete on Design!
>
> www.johnspiers.com


0 comments: