Friday, January 6, 2006

New Product Idea

Re: [spiers] New Product Idea

Until your product is on the market... try using the Nokia 2116i... very
simple... good reception... and dig this... it has a built in flash light too!

----- Original Message -----
From: grmail@gtctech.com
To: spiers@yahoogroups.com
Cc: spiers@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:38 PM
Subject: Re: [spiers] New Product Idea


John,
I had encountered very same issues with Cingular, to get me a simple
functional wireless cell phone and I was lucky to pick up one discontinued
Nokia model. I really wanted more simpler cell than that, but Cingular
was discontinuing these models I wanted, even though it was displayed on
the shelves.

In the past I had been in telecommunication and wireless technology sector
for many years and it is not hard to come up with the design of the cell
phone (hardware), which companies like Nokia, Motorola, LG, etc are
already manufacturing it today. Problem is the other large corporations in
US who are in cell phone service provider business. These companies like
Cingular, Sprint/Nextel, Vorizon etc have contracts with hardware
providers, so consumer have no control over what they want to buy, its up
to the service providers, what they want to shove the product onto the
hands of the consumer.

Also USA consumers may not be like other international consumers, when it
comes to bells and whistles on the cell phones, hence it seems what drives
these cell phone consumptions is the international hunger of bells and
whistles and manufacturers of hardware are more geared towards that,
rather than needs of US consumers. So if I, a small fish have to come up
with product for US consumers, I will not be able to market it through
these cell phone service providers in USA.

Grp


> Folks,
>
> Unhappy with my cell phone, my wife brought home a non-flip phone, but it
> has the same
> problems... it does too much.
>
> First it is barely workable for me (I had my 12 year old program it). The
> screen is unreadable,
> but pretty with 216 million colors... in bright sunshine I cannot even see
> the color, let alone the
> print. Just when my eyes focus on the tiny screen, the light turns off to
> save battery. I can do text
> messaging, IM, and all sorts of other wonderful things, features I will
> never use. I could go on,
> but I'll get to the point.
>
> I went into the Cingular store with the current phone and the last phone I
> was happy with ... a
> model from say 5 years ago. It showed date and time, sent and received
> phone calls. And an
> alarm clock. It was readable in any light, since it was black and white
> screen... and the battery
> lasted a long time.
>
> So, I asked the gal to move the sim card from the new phone to the old,
> and she said, sorry, the
> old phones didn't have sim cards, it could not be done. So I ran down my
> complaints, and asked
> her what she had that would work for me, and she said what I had was the
> best they could offer.
>
> She also went on to say, she gets FOUR PEOPLE A DAY with my exact same
> complaint... her
> uncle is an engineer at Nokia and she is thinking about tipping him off.
>
> Well, does anyone have any aspiration to the phone biz? Seems to me if
> so, there is a product
> here... an extremely simple cel phone, yes digital, with a sim card, but
> plain vanilla phone with
> NONE of the time wasting features that entice 12 year olds. Dont worry
> about nokia, they will
> never make such a phone.
>
> My daughter inherited a record collection and asked for a record player
> for Christmas. Best Buy
> had one with a built in radio, etc. $80... which I expect is very
> profitable. Real simple, updated
> cheap technology... made by a no-name company. narrow demand, but
> profitable.
>
> Who is going to make a simple, useful cel phone? One that you can just
> move the sim card into
> and then throw away the one Cingular made you buy? I'll be your first
> customer.
>
> John


0 comments: