Monday, January 9, 2006

Trade Show For Designers

Folks,

I was recruiting a new designer today who mentioned she was heading to New York
this
Spring to a new show... http://www.surtex.com/ ... apparently the exhibitors
are DESIGNERS
and the buyers are manufacturers, importers etc... Those of you on the list who
are designers
may want to check this out...if anyone atends or visits this show, we'd all love
a review.

Also, she told me something I did not know about QVC (which I don't think we
should be
working with)... QVC prefers to manufacture/source for themselves any product of
yours they
may sell on TV... that is to say, if they select your product, they don't buy it
from you, they
make it themselves and then sell it on air, preferably with you there on the
screen answering
callers questions. This artist said her friends were getting about $30K per
event... not sure if
that is per cycle or each time on the screen or whatever. Whatever it is, from
what I see,
those people earn every penny.

This brings to miond something I am not sure I mentioned, I was speaking to an
importer
who sold his company to some new york investors and they went after Walmart as a
customer, items being kitchenware. Now one presents say an ice scream scoop
with full
specifications down to metullurgical breakdown and production process, and then
Walmart
buyers do a live worldwide online bidding war to see if anyone else can do it
cheaper than
you, to specification. If not, it's you get the contract. Brutal, but great
for consumers.

John


0 comments: