Monday, February 13, 2006

Competing in Services

Re: [spiers] Competing in Services

As a real estate investor, I have found that a good real estate agent is
worth their weight in gold. I have purchased and sold properties both with
and without the benefit of an agent.

I now work exclusively with agents saving me both time and money,
that is, when I do work.

Thanks to my real estate investments I am retired. Currently I am
enjoying myself in Western Samoa, tonite I board for New Zealand.

Linda





M A Granich wrote:
> Same fellow is now going after real estate agents.

How is it that real estate agents control so much of
the market? I would love to see the real estate
agency go down the toilet. The 6% fee seems grossly
unfair vs the service they provide, it can be
downright obscene. I never understood why it is the
way it is.

> Question: Is it better to government regulators sort
> out market distortions,
> or leave it to small business people to correct
> inbalances?

There is room for both. Ideally, small business would
do the job. But if the "market distortion" is a
monopoly, then consumers are hurt, ideas are stifled,
prices rise. I think big oil is a monopoly. They
have us all by the balls....BP, Texaco and Shell have
one and OPEC has the other. A small businessman just
can't go out and start a refinery. It is way too
expensive. That is when government should step in. I
think Microsoft is a monopoly too. They have 95% of
the market share. They are preditory about keeping it
too.

Anthony


Compete on Design!

www.johnspiers.com


0 comments: