Sunday, February 26, 2006

San Francisco!

Re: [spiers] San Francisco!

I've always wondered why there is no H&M in Seattle yet. Ikea made it here
early on, but not H&M, a company started by Swedish I believe. I thought the
Nordic people always had a thing for the PNW. But I guess they probabaly don't
think people here are that stylish. REI is considerered more stylish here, it
seems:) H&M stores are all over on the East Coast. Now that they made it San
Fran, maybe soon they'll come to Seattle? Yes, I agree with your daughters that
their stuff is definitely inexpensive and stylish.
lily

--- John Spiers wrote:

> Folks,
>
> A couple of things I found interesting in San Francisco...
>
> 1. H & M clthing store... I never noticed these stores before, but there are
> two around Union
> Square area... and I had 3 daughters with me, and they noticed. I knew I was
> in trouble when
> I followed them in and there was a stairwell landing full of bored stupid men
> and a very long
> line of women at the cash register. I laughed at them at first but then
> found myself with
> them after a long while.
>
> The clothes are inexpensive but stylish (so they tell me). Since they were
> inexpensive, my
> daughters reasoned I was not spending very much on them. My daughters made
> up for the
> low prices with volume.
>
> 2. You've all bought potato chips or candy or a soda pop from a vending
> machine. Well, the
> Apple computer line of iPod products are available from vending machines in
> San Francisco.
> You insert your card, push A 7 or whatever, your card is charged, and the
> ishuffle or iPod
> nano or whatever drops down in the chute for you to take your machine. There
> are iPod
> accessories and Sony PSP players in the same vending machine.
>
> 3. Speaking of China, Grant Avenue has stores that seem to have learned from
> Shanghai Tang
> inasmuch as they are finally competing on design. Made in China products but
> designed for
> the USA market. Check out "Old Shanghai" for a good example.
>
> 4. A Korean maker of flat panel screens decided they could make money if they
> hired USA
> designers to build cool products around their screens. See Hannspree at 400
> Sutter... again
> my daughters went crazy over the very attracrtive items. I recognized one
> item from the
> Hammacher Schlemmer catalog, so they are wholesaling... I worry when people
> try to make,
> import and retail. The store may hurt them.
>
> Cheap Hotel: Grant Hotel on Bush...$60/night, 2 blocks from Union Square;
> $15 meal, Uncle
> Vito's on Bush - $50 meal, Rue Lepic, 2 blocks away.
>
> John
>


0 comments: