Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Manufacturing question

Spiers group et al,

I have an idea for a latching device based on an autolocking carabiner
used for sport climbing and produced in the USA for the French company
Petzl Charlet. I think I can improve the design of the locking
mechanism and redesign the whole carabiner so it can be used in many
different applications. I need the latching device as part of another
product I'm thinking about importing. My passion is not latches, but
since I have to design one, I might as well try to make money from it.

I know the Petzl carbiner is manufactured in Utah by Thompson
Manufacturing. The Petzl locking mechanism is marked "Patented", but
I'm not worried because my design is different enough not to cause
problems.

I would like to have some prototypes made just to make sure the design
will work, although I'm not sure how to have that done. My questions
are:

Should I approach Thompson Manufacturing with the new design and ask
them to produce it? I'm afraid if I do, they'll say "Thanks for the
improvement tips sucker" and I will get nothing. I can't help but
feel I would be giving the design away.

OR, Should I just search for an overseas manufacturer to produce it?
Maybe I should patent it then approach Thompson...?

I'm new to the whole process of inovating and importing a product.
Any tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony


0 comments: