Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Mexican Immigration issues

I've seen some of the immigration demonstrations/marching in the
Seattle area. I was trying to think of opportunities. Like importing
Mexican goods for Mexicans in the US...maybe? How does the flight of
Mexicans impact international trade?

I'm for "legal" immigration. I think it is great for the US.
However, I think Mexico is the real looser. Mexico is being drained of
their most driven populous. People who have the initiative and "risk
taking" to travel far and risk much for a better way of life. The very
populous who, if left in Mexico, maybe able to collectively provide the
initiative to lift the country out of abject poverty. Why is Mexico, a
country rich in so many ways, still hobbled economically? I'm sure it
is a combination of things, but maybe start with political reforms?


By the way, my wife is an immigrant; a German. She came to the US on
J1 visa to work for a German owned company in the US. We met, we
married, and then we went through INS hell. I screwed up the INS
interrogation. I forgot some of the movies we saw together. I
couldn't remember what color her toothbrush was. And then the real red
flag raiser...my wife kept her last name. I was threatened with going
to jail for marrying a foreigner just to get her a green card. My wife
was threatened with deportation. The INS investigated my family and
friends. They even went to my employer asking questions. Desperate, I
hired a lawyer. I remember the lawyer told my wife and I to shut up.
To immediately stop talking to the INS. He then turned the tables,
started threatening the INS in ways only lawyers know. Within a few
weeks, my wife's resident alien application was approved. That was 17
years ago. I still get a knot in my stomach thinking about it. We are
still happily married, and my wife is still a happy GERMAN citizen.

Anthony


0 comments: