Friday, May 26, 2006

Competing on design

Re: [spiers] Competing on design

Mel,

I am asking myself that, as I am working on one of those "bigger" things. The
competing oon
design is exactly tyhe same... I saw an ad for a single engine airplane with a
detachable cabin with
a parachute attached. No more crashing, the cabin blasts from the airplane and
gently floats to
the ground.

Now, do we work on one tiny part that enables the whole? Do we work on the
parachute, the
explosive jettison, the aerodynamics of the part that separates. I think the
answer coomes as one
proceeds down the path... I know this is not a good answer, but perhaps you
should study case
histories... Apple, Dow, MCI, etc.

And pose to the list what you find. This is a good area of inquiry. And it
will be supercharged if
you have decided on the problem you plan to solve.

John
On Fri, 26 May 2006 10:49:02 -0000, "nuhmmie" wrote :

> Hey John,
>
> A while ago, you had proposed of an alternative perspective
> to "thinking too small" as in small items. You mentioned private
> drilling technology or cures for diseases.
>
> I've replied a couple of times but never received a response.
>
> How does one compete on the design of these 'bigger' ideas? I need
> help in understanding how to attain the perspective.
>
> Thanks
> mel


0 comments: