Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Protecting Design

Re: [spiers] Holisitic Pet food


On Wed, 17 May 2006 15:05:08 -0700 (PDT), olivia fisher
wrote :

> Hello...
>
> I will be marketing my holistic pet food in my local city. I have fed
this recipe to my dog and
have been healthy for it for years.
>
> This dog food is home made and human-grade and I will can it myself for
distribution. How
will I price it? I want to make different sizes for different size pets, 1/2
gallon for big dogs and a
quart for small dogs. I am working with a local holistic vet for the
nutritional content and analysis.
I intend to distribute this through national food chain like WHolefoods and Wild
Oats. But what
about the price structure? how much profit margin? how will I consider the costs
for advertising
and making it into the retail price?
>
> Olivia- Las Vegas


As to mark-ups, I'd check with Robert Morris Associates Guide to Key Business
Rations, available
at most libraries, to figure what the standard mark-ups are, and yours will be
higher.

The retail price is none of your concern, you just have a wholesale price, and
what the retailers do
after that is their business. Advertising is an overhead expense, comes out of
your gross profit,
but consider advertising allowances, as I outline in the book.

Keep us informed as to progress!

John


0 comments: