Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Mag Lev and China

Medical outsourcing

I just picked up an old issue of Newsweek magazine, I think it was
dated May. Much to my surprise and pleasure, they reported on a
variety of medical outsourcing firms, which has been an intermittent
topic in this forum. Apparently, there are already companies in the
States that coordinate the entire process, travel, hospital, hotel
afterwards, flights, and any insurance processing. I was surprised
that Thailand's Bumrangrad hospital has increased their menu beyond
boob jobs (which I heard about sometime back - not for myself - mine
are large enough) to include joint replacement and angioplasty! The
other players mentioned are India and Singapore. One point mentioned
is the fact that those countries have no laws protecting the patient
against malpractice. Interesting - I suppose quality and reputation
will determine success of these hospitals. Hmmmm, there's an idea.....

But what really caught my eye was a self-insured medium-sized company
in the States (in an unrelated business) that incentivizes their
employees by offering them over $1000 if they get sick and fly to
India (with their partner) to get treated, but no incentive if they
go to Blue Cross. The company wins, and the employee profits. And
the couple gets a vacation break as part of the deal.

So I am very encouraged that there will be a solution offered to the
American health-care idiocy.


Paul Snyder
psnyder@alumni.caltech.edu


0 comments: