Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Mag Lev and China

Re: [spiers] Medical outsourcing

Speaking of American health-care idiocy and asinine
ideas. I read a New York Times article about the
government paying New York medical schools NOT to
train doctors. It turns out New York produces 15% of
US doctors. The idea was ...if you reduce the number
of doctors, you'll reduce the demand on medical
services like lab tests. However, just like the
energy companies, restricting supplies drives up the
cost.

I think we should do the opposite and flood the market
with doctors. Let supply and demand find the best
balance.

Anthony


--- Paul Snyder wrote:

> I just picked up an old issue of Newsweek magazine,
> I think it was
> dated May. Much to my surprise and pleasure, they
> reported on a
> variety of medical outsourcing firms, which has been
> an intermittent
> topic in this forum. Apparently, there are already
> companies in the
> States that coordinate the entire process, travel,
> hospital, hotel
> afterwards, flights, and any insurance processing.
> I was surprised
> that Thailand's Bumrangrad hospital has increased
> their menu beyond
> boob jobs (which I heard about sometime back - not
> for myself - mine
> are large enough) to include joint replacement and
> angioplasty! The
> other players mentioned are India and Singapore.
> One point mentioned
> is the fact that those countries have no laws
> protecting the patient
> against malpractice. Interesting - I suppose
> quality and reputation
> will determine success of these hospitals. Hmmmm,
> there's an idea.....
>
> But what really caught my eye was a self-insured
> medium-sized company
> in the States (in an unrelated business) that
> incentivizes their
> employees by offering them over $1000 if they get
> sick and fly to
> India (with their partner) to get treated, but no
> incentive if they
> go to Blue Cross. The company wins, and the
> employee profits. And
> the couple gets a vacation break as part of the
> deal.
>
> So I am very encouraged that there will be a
> solution offered to the
> American health-care idiocy.
>
>
> Paul Snyder
> psnyder@alumni.caltech.edu


0 comments: