Thursday, July 13, 2006

buying other people's products from manufacturer

John,

In your book and seminar, you mention that once you
design a product and have it manufactured, the
manufacturer may turn around and sell the product to
someone else. If I know of products that I like, how
would I find out where they are manufactured and if
the manufacturer would be willing to sell them to me?

I am interested in selling men's yoga pants. It is
extremely difficult to find stylish pants which one
can wear to yoga, and then wear after class and still
look cool. I have come across a few scattered
solutions to this problem, but they are not being
marketed very well, especially online.

Since I am a web designer with experience optimizing
web pages to come up on the first page of Google's
search results, I was interested in creating a site
targeting men looking for cool yoga pants. It seems
like a good product, as it is something which does not
exist and which solves a problem which is too small
for major companies to worry about. (From my
experience, there's roughly a 7 to 1 ratio of women to
men in yoga classes)

Does anyone have any ideas why this wouldn't work, or
something I'm missing? It seems to be a low risk
venture, since I don't have to pay someone else to do
the site. Can I use the same research techniques you
describe to find these manufacturers?

-Brad


0 comments: