Monday, July 17, 2006

buying other people's products from manufacturer

RE: [spiers] buying other people's products from manufacturer

I've never heard of a "Binding Ruling". Can anyone verify the above?

Thanks,

Roy Gilbert
RG PetComm
rgilbert11@cox.net

Roy,

sure, any customsbroker can get a binding ruling... and $125 sounds like the
price has dropped if
that is the going rate.

And he is right, the duty you pay at the tiome of importation, is "duty, subject
to liquidation."
Meaning, up to a year (I think), customs can come back and say, "we were wrong
you owe more
than we charged (or less)"

The way I handle these is to find out what the worse case sceanrio is among the
people who
cannot be sure withoout a bidning decision... I pick the worst case scenario.
If one says 5%,
someone else say 7%, and another says 9%, then I pick 9% as my cost when costing
the items, and
then after I import something and customs "liquidates" the entry, and the duty
rate is set, then I
adjust accordingly.

JOhn


0 comments: