Friday, July 14, 2006

buying other people's products from manufacturer

RE: [spiers] buying other people's products from manufacturer

The data research and analysis process depends on US government data, but its
presentation changes regularly. Therefore, I maintain a website with a tutorial
that you may consult to help achieve your ends. That website is:

http://www.johnspiers.com/NTDB.html

and I believe it is case sensitive.

Let me know if you have any problems.

John

To anyone that can verify the following,

I asked Edie Tolchin of EGT Global Trading the following:

I was looking for the HST number and statistics for a product that I will
soon be importing from China. One product is a bag or pouch made of
ballistic nylon 420 Denier a Man Made Fiber. Maybe you can direct me to the
appropriate site for such information. The other product for import is a
finished aluminum fabricated item built to my specifications made
essentially of aluminum hollow tubing with a rubber handle.

Thank you,

Roy Gilbert
RG PetComm
rgilbert11@cox.net
San Diego, CA USA

************************************

I received the following reply from Edie Tolchin of EGT Global Trading:

Thanks for your inquiry. Not sure if you know, but HTS numbers are subject
to each individual Customs Broker's interpretation. The surefire,
guaranteed way to be sure of how your product will be classified when your
shipment arrives at the port, and goes through the Customs Clearance
process, is via a Binding Ruling request. Please see my attached article
showing its significance, and this definitely applies to your products.

For example, one Customs Broker may classify it as "pet products", another
as "bags" and yet another by its fabric components. Although I have over
thirty years experience in import/export, I no longer make this decision
because I only work with inventions - which of course are new products, and
may not necessarily fall within an apparent Customs HTS classification.
That is why I would recommend a Binding Ruling, "straight from the horse's
mouth". I would be happy to handle that for you (we can do both of your
products on one Ruling request). My fee for this is $125 (plus postage to
and from Customs).

Also, have you already negotiated the pricing and shipping terms with the
China manufacturer? Who will be paying for the ocean freight and marine
insurance? Have you ever imported before? (Just want to make sure you are
confident in dealing with your supplier, because many China suppliers can
tell if a buyer is experienced or not, and sometimes try to take advantage).
If you are in any way in doubt, I can also assist you with this process. I
am also attaching a recent article called "To Source or Not to Source" that
I wrote for Inventors Digest. (Please scroll down to pages 2 and 3, as the
first page is just an ad for Yankee Invention Expo).

************************************

I've never heard of a "Binding Ruling". Can anyone verify the above?

Thanks,

Roy Gilbert
RG PetComm
rgilbert11@cox.net

-----Original Message-----
From: spiers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:spiers@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of
John Spiers
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 10:57 AM
To: spiers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [spiers] buying other people's products from manufacturer


I'll take this particular question at lest...

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:21:11 -0700 (PDT), Brad Tayan
wrote :

I was interested in creating a site
> targeting men looking for cool yoga pants.

Can I use the same research techniques you
> describe to find these manufacturers?
>
***it's essentially a move into retail, and the answer is yes, use the
technioques to find the
source..but it gets easier with garments since there is a "RIN (?) " number
on every garment
imported for resale, which identifies its provenance... anyone on the list
expert on this RIN
number? If not, a customsbroker ought to be able to help you out.

John



Compete on Design!

www.johnspiers.com


0 comments: