Tuesday, September 19, 2006

New Product Opinions

Re: New Product Opinions

Hi Don,

1) My rough estimates are that about 35% of remotes have room at the
top, 50% have room at the bottom with maybe 15% not having enough
room anywhere. Attaching it at the top would probably be most
people's first choice but it works just as well at the bottom.
Actually it works slightly better at the bottom just because the
light is facing away from the user so there is even less glare
(although most glare is blocked by the top hat). I see no real
disadvantage to attaching it on the bottom. It sure beats not having
one at all. Any design that would allow the light to always be on
the top turns out to be unpractically big. Also I've gotten the base
diameter down to only 15mm so even on remotes without much space on
the top it still might fit. No design is perfect and no design will
work with 100% of the remotes. That's okay because there's enough
remote controls out there that even a small percentage of them would
make for nice sales.

2) These are just estimates and obviously depend on manufacturing
cost which I don't know yet. Keep in mind the price of $5-$8 is for
speciality catalogs and such and by the time it makes it to
Walgreens,etc it will probably be cheaper. Keychain LED lights sell
for over $10 on many websites and anything but the most basic
keychain light sells for about $4 even at Walgreens (I just paid $2
for a cheapy basic LED keychain and $4 for slightly higher-end
model). Surely this product should be able to sell for more than a
keychain LED. It's more complicated and it's unique.

Time will tell on the price. Probably 20% of the people that have
responded have commented the price is a bit high. However, I wonder
if these people realize that keychain lights sell for almost the
same. It's not fair to compare a Wal-mart keychain light price to my
prices for specialty stores. When I do introduce it I'll probably
try different prices at different stores to see how it sells at
different prices. I've had several people suggest prices as high as
$10 but that's way too high in my book. I'm shooting for $4.95 but
it all depends on the cost to make them.

Thanks again for your comments.

John

--- In spiers@yahoogroups.com, D Low wrote:
>
> That's great that most people are interested.
>
> Couple of comments.
> 1. Most remotes do not have room at the top to attach your
light. Attaching it at the bottom is not convenient.
> 2. Also, the price point, $5 to $8, is kind of expensive for
me. I wonder if other people are willing to pay that much for it.
>
> -don
>
> John
wrote: Don,
>
> Thanks for the comments. You're only the second person out of
over
> 40 now that I've polled on various other forums that isn't
interested
> in buying this product. The response has been more positive than
> even I would have ever expected.
>
> As for the patent, John is an extremely bright and knowledgable
> person who has helped me tremendously; however, even he's not
> perfect;) It's not a sin to contradict him. This was submitted
for
> a provisional patent which only costs $100 so why not do it? I
agree
> with John about the patent if it's going to cost thousands but
why
> not do it for only $100. Sure can't hurt.
>
> Thanks again for your comments.
>
> John
>
> --- In spiers@yahoogroups.com, D Low wrote:
> >
> > Nice idea, but sorry, this product is not for me. I know my
remote
> well enough that I can use it in the dark without having to read
the
> text. The few times that I need to, I will turn on the light. I
> personally like the remotes where the buttons can be
illuminated.
> Even then, I rarely use it.
> >
> > Just wondering why you patent the idea which contradicts to
what
> John Spiers teaches?
> >
> > Good luck,
> > -don
> >
> > John wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a new product which I believe really has a lot of
potential
> > and thus far all of my research has been quite positive. I have
> > already submitted it for a patent and now have patent pending
> status
> > allowing me to safely post it here. I'm iterested in getting
some
> > totally unbiased opinions.
> >
> > Here is a link to a flyer showing the product:
> >
> > http://www.johnteel.com/PopupMicroLiteFlyer.pdf
> >
> > Would you buy this product?
> >
> > I plan to present this to various catalog stores next week to
> verify
> > interest.
> >
> > Comments, good and bad, are most appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John Teel


0 comments: