Monday, October 23, 2006

A Perfect Example

Folks,

Last weekend my wife and daughter and I toured marin county and of course they
shopped.
In the town of Pt. Reyes there was a small tack store, with the kind of electic
selection that
was not uncommon in small stores 30 years ago. If there was a theme. it was all
high quality.

Back in the day, I did english riding myself, and was delighted by some training
jacket
designs I saw in the store (in fact, long ago i had my tailor in Hong kong make
riding jackets
to my specifications, blending a bluejeans jacket and a english riding
jacket...)

As i examiined the coat, i was stunned by the quality... the fabric was a
micro-herringbone,
and all the other components beyond common first rate. Further, the place
people cut
corners, like pocket materials, was better than anything any designer name uses.

So i bought my wife the jacket and will have a local clothes designer study it
for me. I've
never heard of the company, although the jacket said "Kyra K., since 1969."
Looking at her
website, it appears SHE was born in 1969, not her company. But that is a small
thing, like a
writer who puts an old picture of himself on the back of a book.

As a side note, the clothing was made in China, which may be necessary for such
a garment,
since managing the production of such clothes in the west would be cost
prohibitive.

http://www.kyrak.com/

I hesitate to point out such success stories because I am sure Kyra K. has never
heard of me,
yet her modus operandi is precisely what I argue. She has a passion, she lives
it, hooked up
with a designer to execute clothes she needs in her field, and ends up
importing. naturally.
But then, as you already know, all i offer is what I learned from others, all I
can claim is I have
done everything myself too, so I can add, "yes, it works."

John


0 comments: