Sunday, October 29, 2006

Re: Assignment After Week 3

Terry,

Thanks for raising your hand... the net has maybe 3% of retail, meaning 97% is
elsewhere.
Why are you hiding from your customers, and spending so much time and money to
hide?

Take as long a trip through the old west as you can muster, and in Denver,
Jackson Hole,
Susanville, Santa Fe, Dallas and 500 other towns, ask the retailers for what you
want... get
them to say, "good idea and does not exist" the go back with your items, and get
the names
of their favorite reps.

Self employment comes from the customers...go get them first, and then worry
about
everything else..

John
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:10:10 -0800 (PST), "Lon Ottosen"
wrote :

> Hello John Spiers:
> Although I never appear in the chat sessions, I am one of your students in
> the Import Export Now class. I have just finished reading the second week
> discussion (yes, I'm behind one week) and got a good chuckle throughout
> the entire transcript. I saw myself and my (adventures in business)
> throughout. Let me explain...I am a government employee and have tried
> many businesses over the last few years in order to become independently
> employed. First it was the rental website; after over a year on the web,
> extensive advertisement, and a huge amount of $$, it still has not
> received one inquiry about running an ad. Then there's the retail
> adventures resulting in a room full of merchandise that I can't sell.
> I've tried selling on ebay (depressing), auctions, on the phone,
> multi-level cosmetic sales, etc.
>
> It's all very depressing. Which is why I decided to take your class. My
> interest lies in framing and matting historic pictures, (for instance, a
> picture of Jesse James would be matted with a short, 10 or 12 lines,
> biography framed within the matt and perhaps an old sheriff's badge or
> other relic) and also old west gifts, and decorative items. I'm giving up
> on selling on the web after Christmas (I'm currently selling LED Christmas
> Lights and I'm going to hang in there for a few months) and want to pursue
> the old west historical plaques and gift items at fairs, shows, etc. But
> selling to stores may be an option.
>
> I have come to the conclusion I will be making and matting my own historic
> plaques and have applied to Collector's Armoury, LTD
> (www.collectorsarmoury.com) for a wholesale account. I have found they
> are pretty expensive and there is a $100.00 minimum. I also found out
> they import their items from Spain, therefore I thought maybe I could find
> someone that would directly import to me through what I learn in this
> class. Hopefully, I can identify and pursue an avenue that I will love
> and can replace my income that I currently receive from working the grind
> 8 to 5 every day. It's not that I hate the time spent, it's that I hate
> the time spent for someone else in a field that I don't love. I have
> found I spend equal time in my home businesses, but love doing them.
>
> Anyway, wanted to "raise my hand", so to speak, to let you know I'm here
> and kicking and enjoying what I'm learning so far!
> Terry Liberty
> Fairfield, WA.
>
>
> >
> > --
> > Folks,
> >
> > Read through chapter four in the text for next week, week four
> > (already!). (If you have neglected to get the text it is available
> > fastest at U Bookstore still has it...
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/ydqr2r
> >
> > One thing you must learn to do now is to put leverage the entire
> > retail structure to advance your goals in building your business.
> > Less is More in this effort, so enter the stores as a mere customer,
> > not as an aspiring importer. The customer is king, and it is up to
> > you to demand what you want.
> >
> > Here is a training game you can start to play:
> >
> > Level One: See if you can ask an employee of the store for what you
> > are looking for before anyone says "May I help you?" At this level
> > it is never responding "I am just looking..." anymore, it is now "Do
> > you work here...? I need a quart of milk... I need 5 30 oil, I need
> > crepe wool pants with pleats..." Or whatever.
> >
> > Level Two: Same as level one, but at level two you are looking for
> > your idea when you ask, and you get into discussions as to the pros
> > and cons of what alternatives the store has, and gleaning market info
> > you gain as a customer of theirs, trying to buy your idea.
> >
> > Alternative Level One: If you already have a sample of what you
> > think will sell in the store, enter the store with the item and ask
> > the first employee you see if they agree the store would buy what you
> > plan to sell. After this initial contact, anything can happen, so you
> > have to be flexible.
> >
> > The key here is DO NOT TRY TO SELL your item, just get confirmed
> > they would buy it, if it were available.
> >
> > The sense you develop is that entire structure is for you, and you
> > can use it to achieve your ends. You are not abusing the store,
> > since the people are there to answer questions anyway, and your goal
> > is to satisfy the buyers #1 question: "What is new?"
> >
> >
> > John Spiers
> > www.johnspiers.com


0 comments: