Sunday, February 24, 2008

How About eBay From Hong Kong?

And I am asked...

What are your thoughts about the internet as the retail channel? To what degree do you think it will replace the channel of sales reps and brick and mortar retailers?

*** I think we ought not worry one way or another.... I think we ought to sell TO internet retailers, never sell on the internet ourselves... I sell TO amazon.com, but not ON amazon.com. Just treat them like any other customer, and then it does not matter what the future holds, we'll be there for every change....***

And, related to using the internet as the channel… In the product I am looking at – I’m finding more and more individuals working out of HK – putting on them on eBay, etc. and shipping directly from Hong Kong. Incredibly, it seems to be working – the very low prices on the product + the international shipping still seems to be competitive with US-based deals (where, I presume, the sellers are looking for more traditional 100%ish mark-ups). I have some ideas about how to compete – but it is an interesting phenomenon and curious if you are seeing the same.

***Planning to move to Hong Kong? Planning to live in a one room apartment with 4 others so your expenses are so low making a few bucks a day is worth while? Even if people in USA are presently, temporarily listing on amazon and shipping direct from hong kong, it will only take hours for people in hong kong to spot the opportunity to cut the american out of the deal... better you develop your own product for stores you serve...***


0 comments: