Monday, April 21, 2008

Anthony Checks In On Glass, ADD

I enjoyed reading your snake soup story on the blog.
If I ever get to Hong Kong, I'll know what my first
stop will be. .

I also enjoyed the story of the
Detroit lady who lives in Senegal and teaches
children.

See attached pic of 3rd century Roman Amphora. It is
about 5" tall, 2" wide. It is part of the Roman Art at
the Louvre exhibit. I thought I could knock this
amphora off ahead of the exhibit's next stop in
Oklahoma City in June. I think it's elegant, and has
a story. And you said Americans love a story. But
before I contacted the museum gift shop, I wanted to
find someone who would make it. I thought a nice
touch would be for the amphora to be made in Italy,
just like its Roman original (adds to the story). I
used the Italian Trade website to find 6 murano glass
manufacturers and emailed them all with dimensions and
picture. Only one responded and said NO.

***Yes, they are swamped selling chandeliers to tourists... like me. Why make amphora on spec when Russians and Americans come in flashing money around? When I made glasses for a Russian exhibit, I used local glassmakers... made a killing on "Catherine the Great Vodka Shot Glasses...***

OK, I broke most of the Spier's rules. I didn't
approach one retailer to see if it was a good idea
(yet), I didn't do my best country to have it made
research, and I didn't write a formal letter to any of
the manufacturers.

***Rules are made to be broken, when you know why you are doing it...***

So, knowing that I'm breaking the rules, is this a
crazy idea? I don't know if it can be produced in
Italy. I don't know if it can be made in time for the
show. Would you still talk to the museum gift store?

***Sure, talk to the stores, they will even place speculative orders...***

How would you have approached it knowing the show is
only 6 weeks out and unsure about the producton? Is
it a lost cause? Maybe I should have it made in
Seattle...?

***Make in Seattle, right... the museums are in a pickle, they have tax-free status, so their gift shops must be 'exhibit related" of they get in trouble... an industry has popped up serving the museum stores with exhibit-related gift shop items...***

Anthony

PS, I have ADD too (self diagnosed). I'm all over
the place with ideas on many different things. I
can't help it. Something will flush out, then I'll be
on my way to importing adventures.

***It's also called being a "renaissance man"...***

.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Anthony, I am curious about this piece. How about getting John to post a pic on his blog?