Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Connie Checks In On Children's Clothes

I found for what it looks like a great supplier in china, to manufacture the children clothing
of my company, the way I found this company was through a trade magazine at an INTL Textile
Show in LA.
they were the only ones who replied among all the people I submitted a request and they seem
very interested in doing business with the USA, (they have not exported to USA or Europe).
their minimums are lower than everybody else I have requested quotes from. They already sent me their
samples (them paying for the shipping, which I heard is unusual).
The problem I have is, I requested references and they said they did some international business
with australia, and they said they did not want to give their name because he/she was an agent,
and because of confidentiality they did not see that appropriate (to give the agent name).
I want to approach them in the right way without offending them about asking references.

what should I do? find an agent to go see this company, if so what's the norm to pay them to do that
or how can I find one reliable?
go myself and visit this company?
would the chinese embassy in the USA would help? but maybe not if they are a small or medium company.
since I am just starting and I am obviously a small business I want to make sure I do it right,
please let me know how it would be the right way to proceed.
connie ozdil

Connie, Here is my reply...


If a name from a trade magazine works, and they are the only ones who reply, then study what you've got...

What this sounds like is people who have no real experience are trying to jump-start their business with an ad in a trade magazine... they hope to get a reply, and then do whatever you ask. And someday they will grow.

If they have never exported to USA or Europe, they will not have the expertise to get the products right and labelling and paperwork right. Sounds like trouble to me.

As far as references, their exports to australia may be just in the form of shipping some tshirts to a cousin who is studying in Sydney. There may be no real references, so it was good you asked.

I would not bother checking them out, since there is probably nothing to learn. Real first class suppliers always brag about who they sell to, so references should never be a problem.

Let me ask, did you do the research to find the best place for children's clothes? Did you then work through the commercial attaches?

If so, what did you find? If not how come?

John



.


0 comments: