Tuesday, February 10, 2009

42% Taxes

I fly into the San Francisco Bay Area at least once a month, usually more. Figure 1/2 hour to the airport, hour and a half wait and security nonsense, 2 hour flight, and an hour getting a car, out of the airport and to my hotel, if not air traffic delays.

Car rentals carry 42% in taxes. The air ticket carries about 25%. Both services are in financial trouble, and both carry these taxes to cover pointless security or boom time excess capacity construction. If the airlines were responsibility for their own security, it would be cheaper and more secure. if the govt was not involved in airports, car rentals would be cheaper and faster. Both would probably be profitable.

I blow five hours and spend $350 getting from house to hotel. I can drive the distance in 12 hours, for $200 in gas, and the longer the trip the more I save in car rental, driving my own. Plus, driving my own I write off the mileage.

Driving my own I can carry far more gear, to do more things in the Bay Area, and on the trip, without risk of losing my things checked as luggage (and now another extra cost).

If I take someone with me (I do enjoy the solitude) then the savings are exponential.

The best part of the easy drive down I-5 is listening to books on tape. I get through 2-3 books a trip (24 hours driving time).

Too bad for the airlines and the rent-a-car companies, they should have maintained their independence.


0 comments: