Friday, April 10, 2009

Why I Attend Trade Shows

Anonymous wants to know how come I attend trade shows if I find the best suppliers otherwise? I intend to attend all the shows going on during my trip to make propaganda films, but this is a one time reason.

Usually if I attend a show it is to keep up with the cutting edge, what is new. It can be useful to meet present suppliers at shows to cover business and observe the larger picture.

I am touting the shows now for another reason... say your passion is for pet toys, visiting a trade show and seeing so many people actually doing business may excite people to begin themselves.

Although I would never steal anyone's ideas at a trade show (because it would be pointless to introduce something someone else already has), I certainly engage in hegelian dialectic: a good idea is a thesis, I consider an antithesis, and come up with a synthesis. It's how innovation moves forward (in intellectual property law people try to stop progess).

So as you see these are not very strong reasons to attend trade shows, which is why I generally skip them.


2 comments:

Dave Harding said...

Do you not think tradeshows are a good way to meet retailers to carry your products?

John Wiley Spiers said...

I think trade shows are a great way for SALES REPS to meet retailers, not us, we are too busy doing what we do to make money and serve customers than get involved in sales... we leave that to professionals, as we do brain surgery and bomb defusing...