Thursday, May 21, 2009

Dubai

I am not sure why the state of Dubai, a place I've never been, has been getting bad press. Here is an article that attacks the countries "slave-like conditions" for foreign workers. Why do we criticize other countries for doing exactly what we did to get where we are?

The article says management seizes workers' passports. Well, hotels seize mine when I visit a country. Can you imagine the trouble an employer would have if they lost track of a guest worker? I'd love to interview workers, ifd they spoke english, and ask if any wanted to go home right now?

The problem is not so much Dubai, but economic conditions in the countries of origin of these people. They compare and choose. I wonder what impact US policy has on these peoples' lives and choices.

It seems to me, if we object, we should suggest changes couched in terms of "please do better than we ever did, as you do wonderful things..." that seems to hit the right note...


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Where does the article say that the U.S. never did the same thing? I feel as though your argument is missing the point.

John Wiley Spiers said...

Indeed, I seek to use my gift of ADD to explore the idea form another angle...