Friday, May 29, 2009

Retail Superstars

There is a book entitled as RETAIL SUPERSTARS reviewed by the Wall Street Journal 5/23/09 page W9, the article for which carries the title how to succeed in business yet stay small. The article complains the author has no numbers to judge the success by, but does not with delight the range of examples, all of which are retail.

What the War Street Journal misses is it is possible to be successful and small, especially if you judge success by the lifestyle of the principals. In each case, the WSJ fails to notice, the owner is having a wonderful life. (Outstanding customer restrooms is a common theme...)

I was discussing with a retailer the concept of having one sample of an expensive item in the shop, from which a bespoke version might be ordered online. Neat idea, I thought. To which she objected:

"I buy things for the store..."

It is one of those comments that knocks me for a loop. It demonstrates why division of labor is so important. I truly do not understand the first thing about retail (and happily I am not in retail.) Retailers buy products for the store. The store is what they do. It is the retailers lifestyle. The products in the store make up the experience. the comment occurred maybe four yeas ago, it is still ringing in my ears.


0 comments: