Friday, July 16, 2010

Seminar In A Cadillac

I was heading up Blewett Pass outside of Cle Elum, Washington Wednesday about 11 am when I spied three fellows up ahead, one with his hand out hitchhiking.  I pulled over about 30 yards ahead of them, and they seemed doubtful I had stopped for them, what with me driving a formidable 97 Cadillac STS.  I waved them forward and they made haste and I urged them to jump in since the State Patrol could ticket me for stopping to pick them up.

They were three Hispanic fellows whose car had broken down in Cle Elum, and were walking to Wenatchee, probably 60 miles.  No problem, I'd take them.

The fellow who sat directly behind me looked like a murderer, although the other two seemed nice enough.   I asked where they were from... "Estados Unidos" (dude, better work on that answer...) and LA, and "Seattle"...  LA being the only likely home town.  One was a trainee in fire fighting, and the other in carpentry, and the final one was a cherry picker.  They love Obama, who is giving them job training.

The homicidal looking fellow behind me seemed to be rifling my jacket which was hanging next to him, I asked him to pass it forward, I removed my wallet, and then had him hang it back up.

I ask them if they had ever visited Arizona.  The questioned surprised them, and we had a discussion on immigration.  I posed a short answer that a state, like Arizona, cannot set immigration policy, so the new law was null, and then explained free market immigration rights.  In short, in a free market, if a farmer or a factory owner and a worker agree to a contract, then it is nobody elses business.  There are no borders, except for property rights.  This generated discussion and clarification, and we got into the discussion of natural law, inalienable rights.  One fellow asked how I felt about Mexicans taking over Southern California.  I replied I doubted Mexico could win a war with USA.  He clarified that he meant Americans of Mexican ancestry taking over.  So I recast his question:  "How do I feel about americans taking over america?"  He had to think that through, and then he got it. I shared with him that there was nothing being said today by talkradio or racists about Mexicans that was not said about Irish 150 years ago and Italians 100 years ago in USA.  It's just raw politics.

I also doubted that the mexicans who escaped the ravages of the oligarchy rule in Mexico would take the trouble to conquer Southern California just to turn it over to the people from whom they just escaped.  I could see a new country, a Sur California (as opposed to Baja California), Spanish speaking and freedom ready.  But the conquest would come from working hard, raising families, and growing businesses.  Population demographics would win that war, and in fact, any army that plans to copulate its way to victory I would gladly enlist.

These fellows were astonished by my views on law, politics, economics, which ironically originated with the Spanish scholastics 500 years ago. It dawned on me during this seminar that USA needs a Spanish language University, to share these precepts in the original, and to bequeath the good of freedom to those who will be tomorrow's leaders.  It is a tremendous business opportunity.


0 comments: