Tuesday, October 26, 2010

New Product Ideas and Testing

One thing that has disgusted me in the last decade or so is this practice of scooping doggy do.  Urrgggh!  As one who cut lawns under Japanese direction, for a summer,  I came across bookoo poo.  Grab a shovel, bury it, no exceptions.

We used rotary mowers, that is the six blades that spin in the open in front, not those closed contained affairs you see today. Those new mowers cannot make the ballpark like pattern, which is at once more attractive and also makes clear if a worker is not attending to precise lines (imprecise lines also indicates inefficiency.) Having the gift of ADD, I once missed a pre-cut cleanup of poo and when I unexpectedly found myself bearing down on a pile I simply continued cutting, let the rotary mowers scoop up and send sailing back into the grass catcher the pile.  What fun!  Then it became a game, for a few days, until my boss spotted me, and was outraged.  Poo is to be buried, no exceptions!

I get grossed out by people following their dog and picking up the detritae.  And then they carry it!  The practice is so ingrained in our society that the president, at a dinner, can refer to it with a throw-away line, and everyone understands.  Uhng!  And forget about me, think of how confusing it is for the dog!  This is so unnatural, and when the normal sensible solution is so obvious, I wonder if the practice is not just another example of reflex conditioning like recycling.  Both are related to waste, both are problems in a consumeristic society, and USA consumerism is the state religion.

I would say there is a product to be developed, the "dog-walkers friend," that is some sort of spade on a handle that allows one to create a quick divet and slide in the offending matter.  But if pick and pack poo is a religious custom, it won't sell.  Again, of course, we try to buy our ideas to test the hypothesis.


0 comments: