Wednesday, July 13, 2011

War Stories

On Jul 13, 2011, at 3:26 PM, Bill wrote:

On another note, I've gotten a chance to watch the video on Chinese knives; very interesting. And I'm also glad that your boss came out with a book. His story is truly indeed, amazing. ( A definite buy.) Your blog and Yahoo groups presents many different ideas & concepts. It is a little different than what I expected. 
**Yes, I can go on forever with such stories, but....***
And one last note, I definitely understand when you say that your class is a "how to"  and not a "copy John." However, I was just hoping to better understand the "process" or have a more detailed walk-through. (Though I understand that you've talked in-depth about the fundamentals of turning an idea into a product, and bringing it into the market during your class.)
*** when I do... such as... " a designer I was working with, on handpainted glasses... now decals are mass printed on special decal paper... he suggested we handpaint decals and apply them to the glasses...
 sigh.. this guy was fresh off the boat.. he did not understand the point of decals... mass production... so I carefully explained that to him... he as patiently explained that the special dcal ink can be bought bulk and images handpainted on the decal paper...
... hand paint decals in china, fedex decals to usa, apply decals to usa glass... and sell as handpainted glass, made in usa...whoa...  brilliant... low cost, much design, high perceived value... rare combination...." it is another of MY stories... and...
For example, in one of your videos you mentioned a glass candle. It would be interesting to see how you thought up this idea (making the assumption this is one of your products)...Well...normal candles burn out and don't last. Why don't they just create glass candles that could be refilled and reused? 
*** I was already in glassware, the reps told me to expand my lines into glass candles...***
Or in addition, products that didn't make it to market? Or where the product got so far and eventually died? Or horror stories?
*** what I want to impress on you is I have such stories because I started... and you will to, when and if you start...  forget about hearing mine and start getting into your own.... there is my fear...  you will listen john instead of happen bill...***

John


0 comments: