Monday, October 10, 2011

Need Paid Work Bad Now?

Over the years many people have asked me for a career path that leads to self-employment.  Or, they have a scheme to get started.  For example, from way back when, a fellow queried "What if I buy a container of blank VCR tapes from Hong Kong, sell them, make a killing, and then use that money to start a business?"  Neat idea, but it won't work.  If it could be done, it would be done already.

In both instances I always advised to go straight to the work of your business.

At the same time I wrote up a case study of how I, on my way to self-employment, taught and wrote, and got a book published.  It is also good money.  And it can be started immediately (although the money may not start for another 3-6 months or so... but what are your choices...?)

Since the topic needs to be one you love, and it can be the field in which you are building your business (skydiving, importing sweaters, redesigned fruit...) you sell what you learn in classes as you build your business.

Sometimes I have no idea what I am doing when I do it.  But now I have an answer for what to do in the meantime...  teach.  I've mentioned a couple of times where you can get the book for free, and here is that website:

www.perishyourpublisher.com .


0 comments: