Thursday, April 19, 2012

David Sorkin on Advertising

Biznik is a biz self-help online group which sends me articles from time to time.  One came in today that is an absolute smash!

Sorkin takes a TV ad anyone over 50 recalls and takes it apart with some fascinating aspects, and then argues how to apply it to your business today.  I am scratching my head right now trying to apply what he is teaching.

His insight, as to spotting the consumer insight, has me thinking about teaching business start up.  A couple a years ago I spent time surveying past students on how come they do NOT start up.  I shared the results with everyone.  In essence, no surprise, the reason is fear uncertainty and doubt.  Hucksters and late night TV people eliminate that, but also scam the vulnerable.  I don't want that business.

My insight is people instinctively know business start-up is about personal transformation, and they dread that.  So, I am not "selling" business start-up how-to, I am selling personal transformation.

Palmolive Dishwashing Soap never mentioned in their ads it cleaned dishes, just gentle on the hands.  Following what Sorkin is saying, I should should be saying "biz start-up; change your life."

O wow.  I gotta go....

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


1 comments:

P. S. said...

Don Draper of "Mad Men" is a master of providing those insights that the referenced article, discusses. Careful, tho, too much viewing of this show causes one's alcohol intake to increase.