Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Hops Market

When you wonder at Washington state agriculture, you might reasonably think Apples and cookie grade wheat.  What few people know is Washington is the world center for hops growing.  It takes barley and hops to make beer, and the hops growers generally grow to contract, that is they grow what and how much a brewery wants.  Hops do not store well, so packaging and storage of hops is an industry in itself.

The hops growers are tied into the big brewers, which are of course some 90% or more of their business.  The craft brewers, microbrews, are less than 10% of the business, but all hop growers talk about how fun it is to work with the microbrewers.

Yes, because they care, they have passion.

I was plagued with a malady called alopecia.  Top doctors and my cadillac grade insurance could not come up with a solution after ten years of trying.  I read somewhere that hops was a cure.  Hmmmmm...

No doctor ever told me this, they just wanted to shoot me up with steroids (which excites cancer) and other "remedies" with terrible side effects.  I'd rather be bald.

Pyramid Ales put out a triple hop beer that I came to love as it cured my alopecia.

If we had less subsidies of the big brewers, there would be more market for the microbrewers, and more care for ingredients.  And more research on medicinal uses of beers and wines.  But no, we must have subsidies and lockdowns.

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


1 comments:

Matthew said...

Seriously, are we talking about alopecia like regular old early male balding alopecia? All you had to do was drink a pyramid ale every night? If that is the case they should get you as a product spokesperson that is awesome. I am going to pass your hopeful response on to all men that I know... lol thanks