Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Correct definition for the self-employed.

Our language gets distorted by the very assumption inherent in the idea of the state.  Because our legalist system requires forms be constantly filled out, I never really challenged the idea of being "self-employed."  But self-employed, freelancer, independent contractor are all terms that contradict what I do.  They in no way describe me or anyone else who usually falls into such categories.  But the state in it's role of god to people in a democracy, wants to mediate all human interaction.  The state is inimicable to being customer-employed, because the state has no role there.  since it cannot come up with a term that is accurate, it comes up with an epithet: self-employed, freelancer, independent contractor.

People "employed" by others work to make someone else's hopes and dreams come true, in return for not having to fight one's own battles, for say a steady paycheck, health care, status, etc.  So "employee" works there.  And ask any employer, to take on an employee is to marry the government.

Now people in my situation are called "self-employed, freelancer, independent contractor."   We are no such thing.   I am customer-employed, not self-employed.  My lance is in the service of customers, and it sure ain't free. I have contracts with others, so I can hardly be an independent contractor; without another party to a contract, one cannot achieve contractor status. the term independent contractor suffers an internal contradiction.

The state not only distorts the economy beyond recognition, it does so when it gets involved in language.  It distorts understanding by using badly chosen terms, or even malicious terms.  What will I do about it?  When I am obliged to sign state forms that denigrate my status, I will add "under protest."  I am free to do this, and it has no effect, but it does leave open a challenge to anything I sign.    That'll show 'em for messing with the language.

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


0 comments: