Saturday, December 8, 2012

King of the Beggars

I received an email asking me if it is best to leave USA to find opportunity.  I replied there is more opportunity here than anywhere else on earth.  For example, at a freeway off ramp I hired a beggar to pray for me.  I think charity is extremely hard to do right,  it usually makes things worse,  so I try not to attempt it except with extreme caution.

Now, in Hong Kong there is a person called the King of the Beggars.  Beggars must apply for where, when and what role they play as beggar, and pay into a sort of social security network.

But there is more, whereas the UK has cameras everywhere, Hong Kong has the beggars who see all.  When the cops need an eyewitness, the King of the Beggars, for a reasonable donation, can provide eyewitnesses to much that goes on.

A policeman once told me there are no homeless people, just crackheads.  They have homes, but they prefer the streets.  Crack is a lifestyle, and best lived out in the open.  You are not going to fix some problems.  But you can realize how the world works, and make it pay.

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


0 comments: