Monday, January 14, 2013

On Intellectual Property Rights

Today I cooked some Chili.  Quite good.  I copyrighted it.  Or Trademarked it, or whatever...  But in any event, from now on, anyone who makes a bowl of Chili needs to check with me first.  And they will have to get my permission and agree to conditions I set, for making Chili.  (Now I know there are some differences in the law between copyright, trademark and patent, but my point will stand.)

The better not make it or sell it.  Fifth parties - law enforcement agents, paid by fourth parties - that is taxpayers, will punish third parties - customers, for buying from second parties - chili cooks, that which I, the first party, own - chili.

I should be able to sit in my house and collect royalty checks for anyone who ever has a bowl of Chili.  What an extremely cool system for me, and the fifth parties.  But everyone else gets screwed.

So what if the second parties, the chili cooks, have to buy the beans, meat and spices, do all the prep work, make the chili, and develop the market for chili?  Who cares, I own chili!

That would be like saying anyone who copies a book has to buy paper and ink and create the book and market it.  Who cares?  The book is copyrighted and even if you have to buy paper and ink and create the book and market it, you are still stealing.  Just like you are stealing if you buy a bowl of chili for which I am not paid.  And it does not matter if they give you the bowl for free.  They still have to pay me.

So keep in mind, if you ever eat chili, and I did not get paid, you stole from me.  And I hope the feds give you the "Full Swartz."

What?  Why don't I just make chili and sell it, like all those other criminals?  Why don't I buy the materials, make the goods and build a market myself?  Why should I?  I invented chili, and I should get something for nothing.  That is what I love about America.

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


0 comments: