Monday, February 18, 2013

More on 15 Points...

This needs to be a post instead of a comment, so here...

Question:

Thanks for replying John. But I focused into exporting because I live in a country with a population of 17 million hab.

I mean the market would be too small to import a product, even if it is a "good idea that doesn´t exist" that is why I think that would be better exproting my idea to bigger markets like the USA.

My country is too small... I mean how can I compare my own country with 17 millions with the USA with over 300 mill? Hence the question I made before...



Answer:

Hmmm... Norway has 4 million people and a lively "compete on design" industry...  How do you know "My country is too small..."  You are only guessing.

I see this happen all the time.  People guess, and then defeat themselves.  "Can't be done."  In business, since we cannot possibly know anything, we must test everything.

If I sell something in the USA, I am selling to a tiny market.  Who cares if it is 350 million people, what marketing I do reaches less than  few hundred thousand people if that.  Do you think because there are 350 million people in USA all 350 million people consider your product?

Say it cost you only 10 cents an impression to reach all 350 million people... that means you would spend $35 million to contact each one once (say with google ads) and one impression is considered pointless, regardless of the means.  If you have no intention or the means of spending $35 million dollars on ads right now, then the fact there are 350 million people is utterly irrelevant.

People start up businesses in a given territory, say Northern California, a population of some 13 million.  Most stay there.  Some begin to spread out, but fact is nobody "starts up" pitching to all 13 million, let alone 350 million.

What you do not know is if you reached several hundred thousand people in your country of 17 million would they be so delighted someone finally designed for them that you would actually do better faster?  Is your marketing system slicker in your country of 17 million (or more rational) than USA, and therefore more effective?

If everyone "knows" "My country is too small..." then that is the most likely thing to test first...  because "everyone" is almost always dead wrong.


Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

But John those people in Norway are selling their design to other countries or are they just serving their local market...

I mean I cannot believe someone in Norway, a country of 5 million people, could be triving just importing and selling to his norwegian customers...

In your chapter of costings and getting sales-reps, if I am not mistaken, I though that I would need a great market if I wanna secure a minimum amount of products in a workable amount of time...

No I didn´t mean to target all 300 millions american but. The market in the USA will be bigger for any kind of product compared to my country of 17 millions just considering the amount of potential consumers...

Am I mistaken?

Thanks again John