Monday, April 15, 2013

The Gift of ADD/ADHD

When I was a child, my parents asked me what I wanted for Christmas.  I said a tea set.  They begged me to be like the other boys.  I told them I tried.  The other boys would say "Let's go play baseball!"  And I'd say "No, let's take clothes apart and see how they are made."  Then the other boys would beat me up.

I told my parents about a new disease they made.  They called it hyperkinesis.  (Later they called it ADD or ADHD or both.)  I heard they had drugs for it.  I asked if I could have the drugs.

My mom had a degree in sociology and said psychiatry was bogus and hyperkinesis was not a disease. I reminded her she wanted me to be like the other kids.  She said the other kids were not on drugs, so going on drugs would not make me like the other kids.

In high school when all the kids were on drugs they were then like me.  They would do stuff like take clothes apart to see how they were made.  In class.  The clothes they were wearing.  This was better.  I began to fit in.  Except it was illegal to take such drugs.  I finally got a job in a hospital kitchen, where ADD paid off big time.  I learned ADD was a gift.

Then Uncle Sam said I should register for the draft.  Go to Vietnam like the other boys.  At that point I didn't care about being like the other boys.  I had the gift of ADD/ADHD.  War was not for me.  I filled out a bunch of forms and the military said they did not want me.  1 O.  Women and children first.  I got a job in an import export company.  A small one, perfect for someone with ADD/ADHD.

If your kid is different, it's not a disease.  It's a gift.  If they offer you drugs, decline.  Suggest if they can't keep up with a kid with ADD, perhaps they should take drugs.  That actually works out well.

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing this and helping to empower other people.
You deserve a purple heart for the most important fights of all - on the homefront!