Thursday, May 2, 2013

How Much Design?

On May 1, 2013, at 9:02 AM, RG wrote:

 I'm learning that a lot of people believe new products need to be 100% right. I can't describe the aesthetics to the customer in detail because the factory needs to design this as best they can, but I guess you can't test the idea completely before samples.

***You need only get to where you get enough orders from the market to cover the suppliers minimum in a workable amount of time profitably.  If you do any less, you have to re-do. If you do any more, you've wasted time and money.***


What do you think re: designing by yourself and working with the factory?

***I do everything, what is necessary and sufficient in this case?***

If I am honest the reason I have not progressed it more quickly, apart from being busy, is a fear that once a 60% right product hits the market someone will immediately recognize its a good idea and design it a lot better - and my ability to market vs theirs.

***So what?  Who says it is down to you to get this benefit on the market?  If it is for someone else, then let them do it.  In the meantime, age quod agis. If there is to be failure, it will only up new opportunities.***

Also, I'm not sure how much I should fund improvements in design before it is good enough to sell. I could just make it myself at home though!

***If you can start there, then do so...  

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


0 comments: