Friday, August 2, 2013

The Gift of ADD/ADHD and International Trade Success

Kevin checks in with an interesting article...  if I had a critique it would be the fellow is going to run into price competition, but I doubt they will beat his salesmanship.

He says he does not use sales reps, and I imagine not, since he is very good at that.  What did catch my eye...
THE BACKGROUND A Toronto native, Mr. Shvartsman learned his first sales lessons at the age of 7, helping his parents sell jewelry at a Sunday flea market. He was smart, but he struggled in school because of an undiagnosed attention deficit disorder.
And thank God they did not diagnose it!  He'd be glued to a video-game right now and countless people in Florida would be short nice patio furniture.

If someone told you your energy, creativity, curiosity and love of life is a disease, and they have been drugging you for it, then find a good doctor who can take you off the drugs (under medical care).  There is nothing wrong with you.  Get off the drugs, enjoy your incorrigible weirdness, and serve others with it.  They will be happy you did.

For the grandaddy of psychiatry critics, check out Dr. Szasz...





Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can relate to this, because I was among the many that was diagnosed with "ADD". Seems anytime someone doesn't fit the utopian model prototype, he or she is considered to have a deficit disorder.

Anyhow I will leave that discussion and proceed to a very question.

What if when you say go after "Passion" that the passion itself is to Trade or to be in business, especially wanting to have some contribution to what some person across the world decides to purchase? Whenever I go overseas, especially Egypt or Jordan, and visit a Souk or Bazaar, my eyes light up, and it's not because of a certain one product being sold, but the whole buying/selling environment.

For example for this gentleman, if somebody convinced him that he would be insane to get into the furniture business because he doesn't have "passion" for it, it would have been unfortunate.

"Knowing nothing about the furniture industry, Mr. Shvartsman assumed he could jump in at a lower price and win buyers."

So is there anything wrong with getting into a business that you might not yet have the passion for, but it's something you could Love and become an expert in? This question is for people like me where the passion itself is business and trade.

I only ask this because I hear it repeated many times to follow "passion", but for people such as myself, I could literally develop an obsessive passion about a piece of scotch tape if I knew I could make a successful business around it and deliver it to my customers better than my competitors.


All the best!

John Wiley Spiers said...

For example for this gentleman, if somebody convinced him that he would be insane to get into the furniture business because he doesn't have "passion" for it, it would have been unfortunate.

***What makes you think he does not have a passion for the furniture? he stated expressly he did: "I could not buy the furniture I wanted..."***

So is there anything wrong with getting into a business that you might not yet have the passion for, but it's something you could Love and become an expert in? This question is for people like me where the passion itself is business and trade.

***Why ask for people like you? Why not ask for you?***

I only ask this because I hear it repeated many times to follow "passion", but for people such as myself, I could literally develop an obsessive passion about a piece of scotch tape if I knew I could make a successful business around it and deliver it to my customers better than my competitors.

*** Listen to what you are saying: "If, if... " Well, you haven't, so why think you would? Your argument has an internal contradiction, you "have this quality which would succeed, but with it you have not succeeded." if you have it, and it is successful, then why has it not worked?

The passion is only half, you forget the other half. The joy from solving the problem. It is the joy half of the equation that gets this guy to the parking lot sales and driving store to store.

Without the passion AND joy, you simply will not overcome the problems, in either lawn furniture nor scotch tape.